2009年3月20日星期五

Change ourselves, not the environments!


At dawn, a rooster crowed and it was killed by the owner.
The next day at dawn, another rooster crowed and it was also killed.
Next dawn, the third crowed and was killed, too.
His neighbor was confused and asked the owner, “These roosters crowed on time every dawn, why did you kill them?”
The owner replied, “I wake up late in the morning, but they crowed very early in the morning.”
The neighbor said, “That is not their fault, it is their nature to crow early in the morning.”
The owner was very angry, “I don’t care. I only need roosters which can mate with hens, not roosters that break the mornings.”
The neighbor said, “But there is no rooster that doesn’t crow. Can’t you find another way to solve this problem?”
“This is difficult,” said the owner, “I thought of cutting off their voice box. I also thought of tying up their beaks. But all these methods are too troublesome; killing them is much easier.”
“Why don’t you consider changing your sleeping habit?” The neighbor felt puzzled
“Change my habit? How could that be possible?” The owner said, “This habit is in me for decades. How could I change it just because of a few roosters? Moreover, I am the owner, they should accommodate to my demands. If their behaviors conflict with mine, it is they that should comply with my rules. Why on earth should I comply with theirs?” Therefore, the owner continued his act of slaughtering the roosters.

Notes: This may sound like a joke to many. However, when we think twice, haven’t we said before, “That’s what I am, and what I used to be, there’s nothing I can do if you cannot accept me.” Or, “Since I am the boss (or superior), you must pleased me, how can I pleased you?” We wish the environments could suit our needs, but we often fail to reflect on our own weaknesses. It seems we are killing the roosters to accommodate to our habits. Old habits don’t die hard; it’s we that are afraid of changing what we are!

没有评论:

发表评论